Sunday, April 4, 2010

technical difficulties

Today was one of those days that I planned to go one way, and ended up going another. Not that uncommon I suppose, but when you are planning to go for a jog, you don't really expect it to deviate *too* far from plan. Right?


The run itself was not too bad, not great, but fairly average. Truth is, I can't really say whether it was a good run or not, owing to issues that I had with my iPhone app - RunKeeper. I think that I ran around the 20km mark, though I'll never really know for sure I suppose. And it doesn't really matter either.


My first issue came when E called from New York to tell me that she had landed (this wasn't an issue mind, I just want to make that clear). I now know that if your phone rings while you are running, the application suspends its GPS and ceases timing. I had managed to run about 1km in the time that I was speaking to E, so that was a fair chunk missing right there.


When I re-started the activity on the application, it then decided not to play music for me any more, and my headphones simultaneously conked out, so I could barely hear the application prompting me for distances and paces. Which meant that I was basically running with my phone for no reason at this stage.


Periodically I would take the phone from my arm to check distances in order to ensure that I ran around the 21.1km that I had intended to run, and that worked to a degree. At around the 17km mark however (a time at which I was tracking ahead of schedule to run a PB for the Half Marathon distance), I must have stopped the application, because it ceased timing again. 


So I don't have an accurate timing or distance measure for this morning, which made me kind of cranky; but it was user error I suppose. My achilles are feeling a bit sore now that I've had the chance to have a bath, stretch and Dencorub up a bit. My hips were quite sore as I was running, which is just another thing to keep an eye on. 


Strength session tomorrow, but beers in the meantime at the folks place.






Extra note: If to prove my point; I have a somewhat sore throat from screaming at my computer, owing to the difficulty in posting the map above. Technology hates me today. I'm not going anywhere near the washing machine. Sounds like a good excuse to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment