Tuesday, April 6, 2010

the proverbial broken record

Let's get one, fairly simple thing straight before we go any further with this running blog thing.

I'm dumb.

I'm not unintelligent, at least I don't think I am. But as a runner, as someone who should know better and chooses not to - I'm a bonafide, grade A moron.

I know I have sore achilles, and I know this because my tag cloud to the right has the word 'achilles' in a font size three times bigger than any other. I also know it because my calves are quite sore two days after a long run, and because when I tried to do a speed session this morning, I struggled and had to cut it short early. I know because every running stride on my right hand side causes me to realise that my achilles is pulling a little.

At least I cut my run this morning short and didn't run through the pain. Well, I mean, I did run through the pain for 1km, but at least I stopped after that. Well, I mean, I ran a little on the way home, but that's not really running now, is it?

There is something strange about the human condition that allows/encourages us to ignore things that we know are simply bad for us. Like eating a cheeseburger. I run, even when I know I shouldn't - I just do it anyway. And what's possibly worse is that i know its bad for me. And yet, persistence is a virtue apparently. Part of it is not allowing weakness to creep in. You know the voice. "If you don't run today, all of your work from before will be undone" - if you can imagine the voice in a cheesy 50's sitcom ghost voice, all the better for you.

I will go and see a sports doctor. I will at least try to convince myself that running 11km on Wednesday if I am not 100% is a bad idea.

Then again, I'll probably just run anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment